As reported in the Elmhurst Press on May 16, 1930, a small group gathered at Hawthorne School on April 19, 1928 to organize a new English Lutheran Church in Elmhurst. The first services were held in Hawthorne School. From there, the congregation planned for growth and the construction of the church building. The site was purchased in January, 1929 and the groundbreaking was in October, 1929. The building cost of $102,000 with a $90,000 mortgage was assumed by 150 members. The mortgage was burned in 1947. The Church was dedicated on May 18, 1930, with 3 services on that first Sunday, followed by a week long series of services and presentations.
The Church building is 50 feet wide by 102 feet long, seating 375 plus 100 in the balcony. The tower rises 58 feet. A portion of the current "Ascension Room" (opposite the choir) completed the cross bar to shape the entire structure in the form of a cross. The Annex was dedicated in 1955 and the groundbreaking for the Redeemer Center was in 1970.
For a history of the English District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod follow this link:
English District History